The Bowen Road Cemetery (also known as the Nanaimo Municipal Cemetery or Nanaimo Public Cemetery) is located at 555 Bowen Road, Nanaimo, B.C.
We are currently aware of the following Deceased Brethren interred in Bowen Road Cemetery:
- John ABERNATHY (died 28 December 1886)
- Benjamin Seymour ABRAMS (1891-1951)
- William ADAM (1882-1958)
- Ernest BAKER (1888-1975) and Maude Victoria BAKER (1890-1994)
- George BEVILOCKWAY (died 1920)
- James Miller BROWN (1830-1926)
- Joseph Miller BROWN (1867-1944)
- Ray CASE (1897-1927)
- Frederick Lucas COCK, died 1903, aged 33. Member of Hiram Lodge, No.14
- Jack COTTLE (1879-1958)
- Andrew DOUMONT (1902-1957) & Edith DOUMONT (1904-1979) Order of the Eastern Star
- Samuel DRAKE (1838-1912) W.M. of Ashlar Lodge No.3 in 1877, 1884 and 1888
- William Lorne DUNN (1878-1966)
- William FLACK, (1830-1901)
- Joseph FOY, (died 1915, aged 45). Died trying to rescue miners trapped in a flooded mine.
- James FRAME (died 1936)
- John FRAME, (died 1936) W.M. of Ashlar Lodge No.3 and Temple Lodge No. 33
- Richard GEORGE (died 8 October 1881, aged 43)
- John William GLAHOLM, died 1943
- Harold GOOD, (1906-1992)
- John W. GREY, (died 1926, aged 60)
- William HORNE (died 24 January 1888) Died in Wellington No.5 mine explosion
- Samuel HUDSON, died 3 May 1887, aged 37. Died trying to rescue miners in the Esplanade No.1 mine explosion.
- Joseph N. KNEEN (1883-1967)
- William K. LEIGHTON (1854-1906) Worshipful Master of Ashlar Lodge No. 3 in 1892. District Deputy Grand Master.
- Alexander W. MARSHALL (1817-1889)
- Allan James MacLEAN (1919-1995)
- Neil T. McINNES (1887-1952) & Jessie M. McINNES (1894-1963)
- Andrew McKINNELL (died 1924)
- Malcolm McLEAN – died 3 May 1887, aged 30. Died in the Esplanade No.1 mine explosion.
- William Harrison MOORE (1873-1936)
- Archibald MUIR – died 3 May 1887, aged 53. Died in the Esplanade No.1 mine explosion.
- Joseph Edward Lewis MUIR (1875-1963), son of Archibald MUIR
- Louis PERRY (1882-1960)
- John RENWICK (1835-1920)
- William H. RICHARDS (1905-1994)
- Alexander ROSS (died 24 January 1888) Died in Wellington No.5 mine explosion
- Earl ROWAN (1933-2008) Worshipful Master of Ashlar Lodge No. 3
- Francis ROWBOTTOM (1875-1965)
- Francis H. ROWBOTTOM (1905-1979)
- Austin W. SCOTT (1923-2000)
- Robert James Millar STEWART (1893-1961) – Worshipful Master of Ashlar Lodge No. 3 in 1926
- William STEWART (1835-1904) Charter Member of Caledonia Lodge No. 478 and St. John’s Lodge No. 21
- Adam G. WATSON (1867-1940)
- Albert Francis YATES (1851-1930) – member of Doric Lodge No. 18
- Arthur YATES (1883-1984) – member of Doric Lodge No. 18
- Frederick McBain YOUNG (1863-1937) Past Grand Master; member of Doric Lodge No. 18
We will add more names of Deceased Brethren interred in Bowen Road Cemetery as we become aware of them. Links to more information on the above names will be added in due time.
Other notable graves in Bowen Road Cemetery include:
- Leah BROWN (nee WESTWOOD), first wife of James Miller BROWN (1826-1926) and mother of Joseph Miller BROWN (1867-1944)
If you know of any deceased Freemasons interred in Bowen Road Cemetery, please let us know by leaving a comment in the form box below.
Here is a map showing the location of the Bowen Road Cemetery, aka Nanaimo Public Cemetery, aka Nanaimo Municipal Cemetery
Here is a link to a search page for Bowen Road cemetery.
Here are some more Masonic grave markers in Bowen Road Cemetery.
Samuel Hudson died in the Esplanade No.1 Mine Explosion.
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?