William Flack (1830-1901) is buried in Bowen Road Cemetery in Nanaimo, B.C.
William Flack’s grave stone says he was a member of Cleveland Lodge, No. 211, Chicago, Illinois. There is also an Independent Order of Odd Fellows symbol on the gravestone.
Cleveland Lodge, No. 211 is no longer on the Register of the Grand Lodge of Illinois. We contacted the Grand Lodge of Illinois asking for more information on William Flack and Cleveland Lodge, No. 211 and we received the following from Grand Lodge of Illinois records:
Cleveland Lodge No. 211 was constituted in Chicago in 1858.
The Grand Lodge of Illinois records on William Flack are as follows:
- Initiated in Cleveland Lodge No. 211 on 11 March 1869
- Passed in Cleveland Lodge No. 211 on 1 April 1869
- Raised in Cleveland Lodge No. 211 on 29 April 1869
- Suspended 19 June 1884. [note: suspension is typically for non-payment of dues. William Flack may have been travelling in another part of the country and unable to send money to Chicago.]
- Reinstated 19 April 1888 [note: reinstated from the suspension of 19 June 1884. This suggests the 1884 suspension was for non-payment of dues. William Flack was likely reinstated after paying the outstanding dues.]
- Died 10 September 1901.
We will add more information about William Flack as we uncover it.
The GPS location of William Flack’s grave is: N 49⁰ 10.145′ W 123⁰ 57.262′
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?