Buildings Associated With Ashlar Lodge No. 3 Members

This page is currently UNDER CONSTRUCTION. We will be adding more buildings to this page in due time as we do additional research.

The buildings on this page are shown in chronological order by construction date.

Nanaimo

Occidental Hotel, 432 Fitzwilliam Street, Nanaimo, B.C.

Occidental Hotel, 432 Fitzwilliam Street, Nanaimo. Built in 1886.
Occidental Hotel, 432 Fitzwilliam Street, Nanaimo. Built in 1886. Designed by John Teague, built by Alfred Summerhayes. (Photo: Mark Anderson)

The Occidental Hotel at 432 Fitzwilliam Street was designed by Victoria architect John Teague, a member of Victoria-Columbia Lodge, No.1, and built by Nanaimo contractor Alfred Summerhayes, a member of Ashlar Lodge, No.3. It is listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places.

James Miller Brown house, 528 Hecate Steet, Nanaimo, B.C.

James Miller Brown house, 528 Hecate Street, Nanaimo in January 2017
James Miller Brown house, 528 Hecate Street, Nanaimo in January 2017 (photo by Ashlar Lodge No.3 Historian)

528 Hecate Street was built for James Miller Brown (1830-1926) circa 1890’s. James Miller Brown lived here with his family until his death in 1926.

Unfortunately 528 Hecate Street has undergone some very unsympathetic renovations and is nowhere close to its original appearance. It is currently divided into four apartments.

Joseph Miller Brown house, 418 Kennedy Street, Nanaimo, B.C.

418 Kennedy Street, Nanaimo, B.C. This house was the family residence of Joseph Miller Brown (1867-1944) until his death.
418 Kennedy Street, Nanaimo, B.C. This house was the family residence of Joseph Miller Brown (1867-1944) until his death (photo by Ashlar Lodge No.3 Historian).

This house at 418 Kennedy Street was built in 1910. We believe it was built for Joseph Miller Brown and his family but we cannot state that conclusively at this time. Joseph Miller Brown lived here with his family until his death in 1944.

J.H. Malpass General Store, 687 Albert Street, Nanaimo, B.C.

687 Albert Street, built in 1910 as a grocery and dry goods store by James Henry Malpass.
687 Albert Street, built in 1910 as a grocery and dry goods store by James Henry Malpass.

687 Albert Street is now the Superette grocery store but it was originally built circa 1903-1910 (the original sources given varying dates) for James Henry Malpass, who operated a general store here between 1903 and 1946.

Rawlinson-Glaholm Grocery, 437 Fitzwilliam Street, Nanaimo, B.C.

Rawlinson & Glaholm Grocery, a heritage building at 437 Fitzwilliam Street, Nanaimo
Rawlinson & Glaholm Grocery, 437 Fitzwilliam Street, Nanaimo. John. W. Glaholm was a member of Ashlar Lodge, No.3

Ashlar Lodge, No.3 member John W. Glaholm and his business partner, Mr. Rawlinson, built this building for their grocery business in 1916. It’s on the City of Nanaimo Heritage Building Register (note-PDF).

Ashlar Masonic Temple. 101 Commercial Street, Nanaimo, B.C.

Ashlar Masonic Temple, 101 Commercial Street, Nanaimo. Built in 1923
Ashlar Masonic Temple, 101 Commercial Street, Nanaimo. Built in 1923

The Ashlar Masonic Temple is on the City of Nanaimo Heritage Building Register (note-PDF).

 

Ladysmith

John W. Coburn house, 641 Third Avenue, Ladysmith, B.C. Built by Thomas Hooper and C. Elwood Watkins (both Freemasons), for R.W.B. John W. Coburn, the first Mayor of Ladysmith.

641 Third Avenue, Ladysmith. Built in 1903 for John W. Coburn by Victoria architects Thomas Hooper and C. Elwood Watkins
641 Third Avenue, Ladysmith. Built in 1903 for John W. Coburn by Victoria architects Thomas Hooper and C. Elwood Watkins

Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?