This house at 641 Third Avenue in Ladysmith was built for John W. Coburn by Victoria architects Thomas Hooper and C. Elwood Watkins, both of whom were Freemasons.

641 Third Avenue, Ladysmith. Built in 1903 for John W. Coburn by Victoria architects Thomas Hooper and C. Elwood Watkins
641 Third Avenue, Ladysmith. Built in 1903 for John W. Coburn by Victoria architects Thomas Hooper and C. Elwood Watkins 

John W. Coburn was a member of Ashlar Lodge, No.3 and St. John’s Lodge, No.21 in Ladysmith. He played a leading role in the campaign to incorporate the town of Ladysmith and was elected the first Mayor of Ladysmith in 1904.

641 Third Avenue, Ladysmith. Built in 1903 for John W. Coburn by Victoria architects Thomas Hooper and C. Elwood Watkins
641 Third Avenue, Ladysmith. Built in 1903 for John W. Coburn by Victoria architects Thomas Hooper and C. Elwood Watkins

John W. Coburn apparently sold this house when he returned to Nanaimo about 1913. In 1917 this house was purchased by a Mr. Verchere, the manager of the Ladysmith branch of the Bank of Commerce. It remained in the Verchere family for several decades.

W.B. John W. Coburn, circa 1910
R.W.B. John W. Coburn, circa 1910 (Photo copyright – Ashlar Lodge, No.3)

John W. Coburn was elected to Nanaimo City Council in 1917.

Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?