Welcome to the Ashlar Lodge, No.3 Website

Ashlar Lodge, No.3, A.F. & A.M. is a Masonic Lodge in Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada.   Welcome to our website.

Ashlar Lodge, No.3 has been active in Nanaimo since 1873, having been formed from the amalgamation of two earlier lodges, Nanaimo, No.3 and Caledonia, No.6, which were originally formed in 1867. See Our History for more details.

Meetings of Ashlar Lodge No. 3 & Visiting Ashlar Lodge No.3

Ashlar Lodge, No.3 meets on the first Wednesday of each month at 7:30 p.m. at the Ashlar Masonic Temple, 101 Commercial Street, Nanaimo, B.C. (for a map, click here or scroll further down this page).

Visiting Brethren are always welcome at Ashlar Lodge, No.3. For upcoming events at Ashlar Lodge, No.3, please see our News and Events page. For enquiries about Ashlar Lodge, No.3, please contact us at AshlarLodge3@gmail.com

The next Regular Meeting of Ashlar Lodge, No. 3 will be held in September 2017, 7:30 pm, at the Ashlar Masonic Temple, 101 Commercial Street, Nanaimo.

All Visiting Brethren are very welcome to attend.

We will be having an Open House at Ashlar Masonic Temple on 15 July 2017. The Grand Master and Grand Lodge Officers will be attending.

All Visiting Brethren and interested members of the public are very welcome to attend the Open House. at Ashlar Masonic Temple and our tour of Masonic graves at Bowen Road cemetery.

For those who are not Freemasons but are curious about Freemasonry or have any questions about Freemasonry, please see our pages About Us, Becoming A Mason and Joining Us.

OUR HISTORY

Ashlar Lodge, No.3 and its’ members have a long and honourable history in Nanaimo, B.C.

Ashlar Lodge, No. 3 was formed on 8 December 1872, when the Grand Lodge of British Columbia approved the amalgamation of two existing Nanaimo Masonic Lodges, Nanaimo Lodge, No. 3 (originally Nanaimo Lodge, No. 1090 of the United Grand Lodge of England) and Caledonia Lodge, No.6 ( originally Caledonia Lodge, No. 478 of the Grand Lodge of Scotland) into a new Lodge, Ashlar Lodge, No. 3.

Our membership has included many well known names in Nanaimo history. We have started to place our historic Membership Lists online for historians, genealogists and other researchers. We have also started a page listing some of our Deceased Brethren. Please note that these pages were only started when this site went online in October 2015 and we will be adding many more names to these pages in the future as time permits.

ASHLAR MASONIC TEMPLE

Our Ashlar Masonic Temple at 101 Commercial Street, built in 1923, is a landmark building in downtown Nanaimo. It is on the Canadian Register of Historic Places and the City of Nanaimo Heritage Register. The Nanaimo News Bulletin published a story on the Ashlar Masonic Temple in its 16 February 2016 edition and in its 7 April 2017 edition.

The City of Nanaimo has compiled a series of Seagull Eye View videos of various historic buildings in Nanaimo, including our Ashlar Masonic Temple. Here’s the Seagull Eye View video:

In April 2017 the City of Nanaimo awarded a $20,000 Heritage Grant for refurbishment of the exterior of Ashlar Masonic Temple:

Here is a link to the Nanaimo News-Bulletin report about this Heritage Grant.

Here is a map showing how to get to the Ashlar Masonic Temple, 101 Commercial Street, Nanaimo, B.C.

Our Featured Deceased Brother This Month

As a way of remembering Ashlar Lodge, No.3 history and our Deceased Brethren, Ashlar Lodge, No.3 features a Deceased Brother on the website each month.

Our featured Deceased Brother for this month is Joseph Foy (died 9 February 1915),  who was a manager at the South Wellington coal mine. He joined Ashlar Lodge No. 3 in 1913. On 9 February 1915 he died while trying to rescue miners trapped underground on a flooded mine.

Joseph Foy is buried in Bowen Road Cemetery, Nanaimo.

Joseph Foy, who died in 1915 trying to rescue miners from a flooded coal mine. (Photo courtesy of Foy family archive - private collection - used with permission)
Joseph Foy, who died in 1915 trying to rescue miners from a flooded coal mine. (Photo courtesy of Foy family archive – private collection – used with permission)

Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on our Home Page?