Another notable grave in Bowen Road Cemetery is that of Leah Brown (nee Westwood), the first wife of James Miller Brown (1826-1930), Worshipful Master of Ashlar Lodge No.3 in 1874 and 1875, and mother of Joseph Miller Brown (1867-1944), Worshipful Master of Ashlar Lodge No.3 in 1895.
Leah Brown was born on 9 July 1838 and baptized on 29 July 1838. She died in childbirth on 22 May 1876.
Here are links to websites with more information about Leah Brown (nee Westwood):
- Nanaimo News Bulletin – article in 19 April 2016 issue
- TheNav.ca – Vancouver Island University student newspaper
Rhonda Russell (nee Brown) of Queensland, Australia, a descendant of Leah Brown (nee Westwood) and James Miller Brown, contacted us and provided us with a lot of family information including these names of Leah Brown’s children with her husband James Miller Brown:
- James Miller Brown married Leah Brown (nee Westwood) on 12 December 1863 [note: we found the record of this marriage in the Nanaimo Community Archives. The marriage was performed in St. Paul’s Anglican Church, Chapel Street, Nanaimo, a few blocks from our Ashlar Masonic Temple.]
- James William Brown – born 16 November 1864
- Joseph Miller Brown – born 31 March 1867 (died 1944). Worshipful Master of Ashlar Lodge, No. 3 in 1895.
- Leah Elizabeth Brown – born 29 August 1868
- Clara Emma (Bernice) Brown – born 18 March 1870
- George Stanley Brown – born 9 February 1872
- Benjamin David Brown – born 6 January 1874
- William Henry Brown – born 3 March 1875 / died 26 March 1875
- John Brown – born 22 May 1876 / died 28 June 1876
- Leah Brown (nee Westwood), died in childbirth on 22 May 1876
Here is a photo of Leah Brown’s husband, James Miller Brown (1830-1926)
Here is a photo of Leah Brown’s son, Joseph Miller Brown (1867-1944)
Here is a photo of the James Miller Brown grave in Bowen Road cemetery which shows its position in relation to Leah Brown’s grave, which is behind the three large trees in the center-left background of the photo below.
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?