John W. Coburn house – 641 Third Avenue, Ladysmith

This house at 641 Third Avenue in Ladysmith was built in 1903 for John W. Coburn by Victoria architects Thomas Hooper and C. Elwood Watkins, both of whom were Freemasons.

641 Third Avenue, Ladysmith. Built in 1903 for John W. Coburn by Victoria architects Thomas Hooper and C. Elwood Watkins
641 Third Avenue, Ladysmith. Built in 1903 for John W. Coburn by Victoria architects Thomas Hooper and C. Elwood Watkins

John W. Coburn (1860-1939) was Initiated, Passed and Raised in Ashlar Lodge, No.3 in 1886. He was Worshipful Master of Ashlar Lodge in 1893 and District Deputy Grand Master in 1894 and 1895.

641 Third Avenue, Ladysmith. Built in 1903 for John W. Coburn by Victoria architects Thomas Hooper and C. Elwood Watkins
641 Third Avenue, Ladysmith. Built in 1903 for John W. Coburn by Victoria architects Thomas Hooper and C. Elwood Watkins 

In 1899 John W. Coburn moved to Ladysmith and became active in civic affairs. He played a leading role in the campaign to incorporate the town of Ladysmith and was elected the first Mayor of Ladysmith after the town was incorporated in 1904.

W.B. John W. Coburn, circa 1910
R.W.B. John W. Coburn, circa 1910 (Photo copyright – Ashlar Lodge, No.3)

John W. Coburn moved back to Nanaimo and was elected to Nanaimo City Council in 1917. For more information about R.W.B. Coburn, see our page about John W. Coburn.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.